The Salzgitter location was one of our first production facilities in Germany. The two business units (oil mill and malthouse) went into production in 1993. We employ 115 qualified and dedicated skilled staff at the location in our oil mill, malthouse and laboratory, as well as in purchasing/sales departments, logistics and accounting.
- Rapeseed oil – Hearty, healthy, and for everyday use
- Rapeseed meal – A valuable source of protein in animal feed
- Brewing malt – For the freshly tapped
Rapeseed oil is a high-grade cooking oil, rich in unsaturated Omega-3 fatty acids. Refined rapeseed oil is tasteless and has a special feature: it can be heated to high temperatures and is therefore highly valued, not only by top chefs. In the supermarket you can find it in reputable margarines, delicatessen salads, and numerous other foods.
Rapeseed meal is an important component in animal feed for cows and pigs. If produced locally we are less dependent on imports of other protein sources (e.g. soy meal from South America).
Brewing malt – Cargill is one of the world's largest malt producers. Our malthouse in Salzgitter supplies reputable breweries in Germany and Europe. Cargill is represented in every fizzing pilsner.
Grain trading and the agricultural finance sector are two other business fields in Salzgitter. We help farmers manage price risks during harvests. We buy wheat for our Cargill starch facilities and supply grain to the national and international mill and animal feed markets.
The foundation stone of the Salzgitter location was laid on December 16, 1992. The oil mill and malthouse business units went into production in 1993.
Why we get involved locally – Corporate responsibility
Nature and sustainability – We have been initiating and supporting ecological projects for years in collaboration with local environment organizations and agricultural institutions.
Examples of our involvement:
- Planting of 400 shrubs on the banks of the Altenau river (near Wolfenbüttel) for the preservation of the natural environment
- "Together for more diversity on arable land." The heart of the project is the introduction of flower strips for promoting flower-pollinating insects. The flower strips planted over many years have a positive effect on the fauna and contribute to biodiversity
- Supporting the Salzgitter Tafel [food bank], which provides food to those in need
Tel.: +49 (0)5341 224−0
Fax: +49 (0)5341 224-888
Resource conservation in Salzgitter
The entire energy requirements of our plants are covered fully by our own gas turbine, which regulates power and steam consumption. The waste heat is used in the malting tower. We feed excess power into the local electricity network. We treat our sewage from material processing into drinking water through special filtration.