The cocoa and chocolate plants in Berlin-Reinickendorf and Berlin-Lichtenrade have formed part of the Cargill corporate family since 2011. The flexible and customer-focused product portfolio includes the production of chocolate and cocoa mass, in both liquid and solid form.
Cargill is the largest manufacturer of cocoa and chocolate products in Germany for industry. Our customers are large German and European food companies in the baked goods, confectionery, and ice cream categories.
At both locations we employ over 220 qualified and dedicated staff in various fields of activity of production, quality control, product development, and administration.
History of the locations
- 1964 Kakao Verarbeitung Berlin GmbH & Co. KG is founded in what was then West Berlin by a group of business people
- 1977 Sale to Dr. Arend Oetker
- 1979 Assimilation into the Schwartau Group
- 2002 Foundation of Schwartau Food Ingredients
- 2003 Purchase of the Berlin plant of Gustav F. W. Hamester GmbH & Co. KG on Flottenstraße in Reinickendorf
- 2004 Renaming to "Schwartauer Werke GmbH & Co. KG – Kakao Verarbeitung Berlin"
- 2007 Start-up of the new roasting facility on Flottenstraße
- 2011 Acquisition by Cargill Incorporated, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Products: From beans to chocolate
Cargill boasts a wide range of experience when it comes to cocoa processing and chocolate production. We source different types of cocoa from the most important cultivation sites in the world. All products are produced exclusively from top-quality raw materials which meet our stringent quality demands. We keep a broad product range of a wide variety of recipes for chocolate and chocolate coatings for our customers:
- The finest premium chocolate
- Traditional chocolate chips
- Consumable cocoa mass
Why we get involved locally / corporate responsibility
Environment, nutrition, and education are important issues for us. On this basis, we support social institutions and projects financially and energetically.
Examples of our involvement:
- Annual campaign: "Our Nectar Meadow" – each employee receives a mixture of seeds to help develop blooming meadows for the promotion of biodiversity.
- The Cares Council – a volunteer group of Cargill employees get involved on World Food Day in a Berlin school and prepare a healthy breakfast for the pupils.
- The library in Berlin-Reinickendorf receives a check for procuring urgently required children's and German books.
Tel.: +49 (0)30 747 00817
Tel.: +49 (0)3040 894−0
Cargill's "Cocoa Promise"
Cargill's "Cocoa Promise" is our commitment to improve the living conditions of cocoa farmers, their families, and their communities, thus ensuring cocoa supply for the long term.
It was introduced in 2012 to coordinate our efforts in twelve source countries and three main areas – efforts from which we believe we are able to make a real and lasting difference: Training small farmers, supporting communities, developing cocoa farms.