On October 10, 1991, in the presence of German Chancellor Dr. Helmut Kohl, the foundation stone was laid for one of the first large investments in the new states of the Federal Republic since "Die Wende."
Our starch factory in Barby near Magdeburg in Saxony-Anhalt lies in an area referred to as the Magdeburge Boerde, one of the best cereal cultivation areas in Germany.
Our wheat starches and wheat gluten are processed in various industries and industrial branches in a wide range of ways. Furthermore, our production range includes various types of glucose syrups, which are further processed in the food industry in particular.
In 2016 we were able to open a top-of-the-range production facility for premium alcohol right next to our wheat starch factory. This new plant produces high-grade alcohol in a fully integrated fermentation process, which is predominantly derived from wheats from the region.
On site we employ 150 qualified and dedicated staff in various fields of activity of production and administration.
The objective of using only tried-and-tested environmental technologies is something that Cargill has also brought to Barby. By using the latest technologies, the energy plan enables maximum power supply efficiency. The consumption of primary energy is kept to the minimum technically possible by using steam multiple times, heat recovery and using mechanical vapor recompression. A gas turbine plan enables a high degree of efficiency of the plant of 90% to 95%.
History of the location
- 1905 Founding of Corn Products Co., branch in Hamburg, Germany (later "Deutsche Maizena Werke GmbH" and "Deutsche Maizena Werke AG")
- 1924 Start-up of the maize starch factory in Barby
- 1969 The Barby factory is renamed VEB Maisan
- 1990 Start of contract processing with Cerestar Deutschland GmbH
- 1991 Laying of the foundation stone for the wheat starch factory under the company name Cerestar by Federal Chancellor Dr. Helmut Kohl
- 1994 Opening of the plant by the Federal Minister for Nutrition and Agriculture, Jochen Borchert
- 2016 Opening of the new ethanol factory near the wheat starch factory
- Fructose and glucose syrups – For the food industry (confectionery manufacturers, baked goods operations), breweries, the beverage industry, milk processing
- Wheat starches and gluten – For the food industry, cosmetics manufacturers, the paper and printing industry, and the animal nutrition industry
- Ethanol/Alcohol – For food, spirits, medication, cosmetics, and various industrial applications
Why we get involved locally: Corporate responsibility
Cargill Cares Council – our volunteer groups. "Good works come from good deeds," is the motto of Cargill employees, who support social projects or organizations relating to the Cargill group. The environment, nutrition, and education are are main issues in this regard. The volunteer groups consist of interested employees who are active in various positions in the company.
Cargill Cares Councils exists globally in 350 locations – even in Barby. The following examples are matters of the heart of the Cares Council Barby:
- Together with the Barby fishing association, we planted trees in Seehof on World Environment Day
- Support of daycare centers (e.g. Gnadau, Pömmelte) and elementary school, as well as the kids of Barby's volunteer fire department.
- Support for the Pelle Musical Camp
- We have enjoyed a partnership with the SSV Blau Weiß Barby soccer team over many years. Several Cargill teams from various Cargill locations take part in the Dickschiff Cup tournament in the Barby Seepark
- Financial support and other assistance through charity runs for elementary schools and the fitting of a library
Cargill Deutschland GmbH
Tel.: +49 (0)39298 60−0
Fax: +49 (0)39298 60-320